INFOntario – Interlibrary Loan Services
Norfolk County Public Library is now proud to offer Interlibrary Loans! If our library does not have what you are looking for, you may be able to get it supplied from another library!
Please note: you must register for the Interlibrary Loan Self Service prior to making your own Interlibrary Loan request!
To register for our Self Serve Interlibrary Service, please fill out our Self-Serve Interlibrary Loan Registration Form.
For more detailed instructions please follow this link for user friendly instructions.
Click on the icon above, or this link to get started.
- Select Sign In and enter your User ID (your library card number – 14 digits, no spaces) and password (your library card PIN) as provided by the library.
- Choose Norfolk County Public Library as your library location from the Authentication Service menu.
- Select Standard or Advanced Search.
- Note Current Profile drop down menu because you will use these search profiles to do your searching.
- Select SOLS Niagara Peninsula [shared] as your initial search profile. NCPL is part of this profile and starting here will give you the fastest possible service.
- Enter keywords from the title, and/or the author. No matches from the first profile? Select a different profile and so on, moving through all the profiles if necessary.
- Select Details to verify this is the item you want.
- Select Get it! to place a request. Item details are automatically entered in the interlibrary loan form.
- Complete the form by selecting your preferred Pickup Location from the drop down menu at the bottom of the form.
- Click Submit to send your request.
- There is no need to print the request. You can view your requests at any time using the My Requests link.
- Sign Out when you are finished.
Please ask a Library staff person if further assistance is required or e-mail email@example.com.
There are a few things that we ask you not to request on interlibrary loan. Please do not request:
- Materials that are less than two years old. Please check the copyright date when placing a request.
- Microfilm and Microfiche because they are requested through Archives Ontario and a library staff person will be happy to assist you with this type of request.
- Periodicals (magazines) because we have other ways of getting this material for you. Please ask a library staff person for assistance.
- Materials that are part of the Norfolk County Public Library collection, even if they are in high demand. Please use our own library database to request information within our own library system.
There are some things that you need to know about interlibrary loan services.
- DVDs may be requested but some libraries listed in the INFO database do not lend them out.
- Each library system has their own policies and procedures in regards to interlibrary loan services so loan periods may vary with each interlibrary loan.
- Universities charge for materials they lend out so be aware and be prepared.
There are a few things that we ask you to do when requesting an interlibrary loan. Please do:
- Return materials on time.
- Use our interlibrary loan services by placing your own request or asking a staff member to do it for you.
- What is an Interlibrary Loan?
- How do I request an Interlibrary Loan?
- What is patron self serve Interlibrary Loan?
- How long does it take to fulfill a request?
- How can I sign up?
- Where do I log on to the patron access interlibrary loan system, how do I use it?
- What if I don’t find what I am looking for in the INFO system?
- How can I monitor the progress of my requests?
- How will I be notified that my material is available?
- How do I renew a borrowed item due date?
Any borrowed book or item that comes from another library outside of the Norfolk County Public Library system is considered an interlibrary loan. Patrons must check the Norfolk County Public Library’s catalogue first to determine if the item is available from our collection, prior to making an interlibrary loan request to borrow from other libraries.
You can place a request through library staff at any Branch.
. . .OR
You can use patron self serve interlibrary loan to place your request yourself from the library, work, school, home … anywhere, anytime at your convenience.
It is the patron interface to INFO, the provincial Interlibrary Loan network that the Norfolk County Public Library belongs to.
This varies depending on the availability of the requested item. Many requests are filled in as little as a week or two. Harder to procure items could take up to six weeks or longer.
Library users must first possess a valid library card and have an Interlibrary Loan patron record created in the INFO system by our staff. To register, fill out our Self Serve Interlibrary Registration Form.
Visit our library’s homepage at www.ncpl.ca and click on “INFO Ontario”. Users need to sign in with a User ID (library card #), password (pin #), and Authentication Service (Norfolk County Public Library) supplied by our staff. Remember, you must be registered for interlibrary loan self service prior to making your own interlibrary loan request. You can find instructions for using the Interlibrary Loan service here.
From the Interlibrary Loan page on our website, you can fill out the Purchase Suggestion Form which will be sent to library staff for processing. You will be contacted if additional information is needed regarding your request or to approve any service charges that may apply.
You can view the status of your request by looking at “My Requests” on the side-bar of the page to know when it has been processed, shipped, and received. You can also observe if your interlibrary loan request has been cancelled because the item is located in the Norfolk County Public Library or the policies of the lending library prohibit loan. If there is any problem with your request library staff will alert you. Please do not resubmit your request.
Patron notification will take place once the item has been received at the library where the patron is registered. Library staff will inform the patron by telephone or e-mail. Prompt pick-up ensures that you will have the maximum borrowing time.
For a renewal, you must contact library staff. A maximum of a one week extension may be granted. Renewal of ILLO material is at the discretion of the lending library.